Let us tell you the story of the only Spaniard with four stars on Hollywood Boulevard’s Walk of Fame.
A joyful biopic filled with music that links together two continents.
From black and white to colour, including extracts from star-studded studio films shot by majors.
Let us pay tribute to the rise of radio and big band orchestras. Let us recall the legendary clubs and the hotel and casino ballrooms immediately after the end of the Prohibition era.
Let us relive the soundtracks of the great musical films and TV shows.
Let us tell you a tale of romance that includes gangsters, luxury cars and palm tree sets.
A story that travels from Barcelona to New York, with a stop in Cuba and the birth of Las Vegas to the sound of maracas.
Let us tell you the incredible life story of Xavier Cugat.
Production year: 2016
Produced by: Minimal Films
Co-produced by: TVE and TVC
With the support of: Spain’s Public Agency for Cultural Action (AC/E), ICEC, MEDIA and ICAA
Sponsored by: Girona City Council and Girona Provincial Council
Written & Directed by: Diego Mas Trelles
Producer: Albert Solé
Production Manager: Gemma Rodríguez
Film Editor: Iria Sanjurjo
Documentalist: Patricia Ruiz Takata
Director of Photography: Raúl Cuevas
Sound: Marc Casademunt
Graphics: Marius Cirja
Post-production: Free your Mind
Sound Editor & Mix: Bartok
Running time: 87 min
Languages: Spanish, Catalan and English
Recording format: HD
Colour/B&N: Colour and B&N
Screening format: Apple ProRes, DCP, Blu-ray, DVD
Subtitles: Spanish, Catalan, English and French
- Best Documentary DO Girona DOC – Girona Film Festival (Spain, September 2017)
- Best Soundtrack of Xavier Cugat DO Girona DOC – Girona Film Festival (Spain, September, 2017)
- Jecheon International Music & Film Festival (Corea, August 2017)
- Miami Film Festival “Knight Documentary Achievement Award” (USA, March 2017)
- Semaine du Cinéma Hispanique, Clermont-Ferrand (France, March 2017)
- Association du Cinéma Espagnol Hispanic Looks, Avignon (France, February 2017)
- Punta del Este International Festival, “Cinema and Music Special Section” (Uruguay, February 2017)
- 9th Gaudí Awards, Nominated for Best Documentary Film (Spain, January 2017)
- International Festival of New Latinamerican Cinema of Havana (Cuba, December 2016)
- Mar del Plata International Film Festival, “Documentary Window Section” (Argentina, November 2016)
- Qurt Jazz Festival (Spain, November 2016)
- Madrid International Jazz Festival (Spain, November 2016)
- Cali International Film Festival (Colombia, November 2016)
- Mostra Viva del Mediterrani (Spain, October 2016)
- Edinburgh Spanish Film Festival (Scotland, October 2016)
- Cambridge Film Festival “Catalan Production Section” (UK, October 2016)
- Sound Track Cologne, “See the Sound” (Germany, August 2016)
- Lima Film Festival, “Rhythms from Cuba for the World” (Peru, August 2016)
- Cinespaña Toulouse, “Opening Documentary” (France, September 2016)
- Two Riversides Festival (Poland, August 2016)
- Krakow Film Festival, “DocfilmMusic” (Poland, May 2016)
- DocumentaMadrid, “Out of Competition” (Spain, May 2016)
- DocsBarcelona, “Latitude” (Spain, May 2016)
- Málaga Festival, “Documentary Special Section” (Spain, April 2016)